This dangerous unexpected malware can even run on Macbooks with the new Apple Silicon chip.
A new computer malware made the headlines lately, after managing to infect almost 30,000 Apple computers. Security researchers from Red Canary, with the help of Malwarebytes and VMWare Carbon Black teams, discovered this virus and named it Silver Sparrow.
A report published by one of Red Canary’s experts recognized that “According to data provided by Malwarebytes, Silver Sparrow had infected 29,139 macOS endpoints across 153 countries as of February 17, including high volumes of detection in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, and Germany,”
At the current time, there is little information regarding how this malware spreads or how it operates, but most experts suspect Silver Sparrow’s distributed by malicious ads or pirated apps.
“Though we haven’t observed Silver Sparrow delivering additional malicious payloads yet, its forward-looking M1 chip compatibility, global reach, relatively high infection rate, and operational maturity suggest Silver Sparrow is a reasonably serious threat, uniquely positioned to deliver a potentially impactful payload at a moment’s notice,” Red Canary warned.
Check the source.
- NPM Package Caught Stealing Passwords Using Chrome Account-Recovery ToolAs part of another complex supply-chain attack, password-stealing malware was found hiding in the npm open-source code repository. The […]
- Phishing Attack Tricks Email Security With Milanote PagesThe “Evernote for creatives” sees an increasingly threatening phishing attacks campaign, going fully unnoticed by SEGs. Milanote App, Hit […]
- Zimbra server under possible attack because of a new bugAccording to researchers, the Zimbra webmail server contains two weaknesses that might allow an attacker to paw through the […]
- Malware authors, increasingly using obscure programming languagesMalware makers are using more often rarely spotted programming languages such as Rust, Go, Nim and DLang, to create […]
- Users of popular crypto app Maiar are targetted by SMiShingMaiar is a digital crypto wallet and global payments app that allows users to exchange and securely store money […]