This dangerous unexpected malware can even run on Macbooks with the new Apple Silicon chip.
A new computer malware made the headlines lately, after managing to infect almost 30,000 Apple computers. Security researchers from Red Canary, with the help of Malwarebytes and VMWare Carbon Black teams, discovered this virus and named it Silver Sparrow.
A report published by one of Red Canary’s experts recognized that “According to data provided by Malwarebytes, Silver Sparrow had infected 29,139 macOS endpoints across 153 countries as of February 17, including high volumes of detection in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, and Germany,”
At the current time, there is little information regarding how this malware spreads or how it operates, but most experts suspect Silver Sparrow’s distributed by malicious ads or pirated apps.
“Though we haven’t observed Silver Sparrow delivering additional malicious payloads yet, its forward-looking M1 chip compatibility, global reach, relatively high infection rate, and operational maturity suggest Silver Sparrow is a reasonably serious threat, uniquely positioned to deliver a potentially impactful payload at a moment’s notice,” Red Canary warned.
Check the source.
- This Disney Plus Scam Is After Your Bank InfoA newly discovered Disney Plus scam is phishing for your banking information, using an e-mail with a very eye-catching […]
- ChatGPT Might Boost Phishing Scams In 2023, Experts WarnWhile AI’s immensely popular ChatGPT is a very useful tool for writers and creators worldwide, it might also help […]
- Devastating Ransomware Attack: Oakland Declares State of EmergencyIn the wake of a massive ransomware attack that left the city with no choice but to shut its […]
- H0lyGh0st Ransomware After Small and Midsize BusinessesMicrosoft has linked H0lyGh0st, a cyberthreat that emerged in June 2021 and targets small-to-midsized businesses, to North Korean state-sponsored […]
- Popular NFT Marketplace Ravaged by $540M Phishing SchemeIn March, a North Korean APT netted $540 million thanks to a massive phishing operation carried out on the […]