This dangerous unexpected malware can even run on Macbooks with the new Apple Silicon chip.
A new computer malware made the headlines lately, after managing to infect almost 30,000 Apple computers. Security researchers from Red Canary, with the help of Malwarebytes and VMWare Carbon Black teams, discovered this virus and named it Silver Sparrow.
A report published by one of Red Canary’s experts recognized that “According to data provided by Malwarebytes, Silver Sparrow had infected 29,139 macOS endpoints across 153 countries as of February 17, including high volumes of detection in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, and Germany,”
At the current time, there is little information regarding how this malware spreads or how it operates, but most experts suspect Silver Sparrow’s distributed by malicious ads or pirated apps.
“Though we haven’t observed Silver Sparrow delivering additional malicious payloads yet, its forward-looking M1 chip compatibility, global reach, relatively high infection rate, and operational maturity suggest Silver Sparrow is a reasonably serious threat, uniquely positioned to deliver a potentially impactful payload at a moment’s notice,” Red Canary warned.
Check the source.
- Fresh COVID-19 Phish: Cybercrooks Impersonate Pfizer In Request For Quotation ScamBad guys exploiting the COVID-19 pandemic is nothing new under the sun. However, the newest highly-targeted phishing campaign impersonating […]
- Ransomware Attack Hits McMenamins; 2,700 Employee Records Potentially LeakedA recent attack targeted McMenamins, a popular family-run chain of hotels, restaurants, and breweries. The company is still experiencing […]
- The Number Of Double-Extortion Ransomware Victims Sees Massive 935% Increase In 2021A jaw-dropping three-digit spike in the number of companies hit with double-extortion ransomware attacks, most likely due to easy […]
- Cybercrooks Aiming To Take Over 1.6M WordPress Sites In Active AttackThreat actors are actively exploiting security flaws in four plugins and Epsilon themes to assign themselves administrative accounts and […]
- Cuba Ransomware Group Raked In $44M In Payouts, The FBI SaysThe Cuba ransomware gang is a wide range of tools and malware to launch and conduct attacks targeting organizations […]