This dangerous unexpected malware can even run on Macbooks with the new Apple Silicon chip.
A new computer malware made the headlines lately, after managing to infect almost 30,000 Apple computers. Security researchers from Red Canary, with the help of Malwarebytes and VMWare Carbon Black teams, discovered this virus and named it Silver Sparrow.
A report published by one of Red Canary’s experts recognized that “According to data provided by Malwarebytes, Silver Sparrow had infected 29,139 macOS endpoints across 153 countries as of February 17, including high volumes of detection in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, and Germany,”
At the current time, there is little information regarding how this malware spreads or how it operates, but most experts suspect Silver Sparrow’s distributed by malicious ads or pirated apps.
“Though we haven’t observed Silver Sparrow delivering additional malicious payloads yet, its forward-looking M1 chip compatibility, global reach, relatively high infection rate, and operational maturity suggest Silver Sparrow is a reasonably serious threat, uniquely positioned to deliver a potentially impactful payload at a moment’s notice,” Red Canary warned.
Check the source.
- Most Companies Aren’t Ready For The Greatest Cyber Threat Of 2021 – RansomwareOne would think that ransomware, currently the most significant cyber threat out there, keeps all organizations on edge and […]
- Patch These 5 Vulnerabilities Now To Protect Your Company From Ransomware AttacksHackers are actively exploiting years-old security vulnerabilities to launch ransomware attacks because organizations skip on patching them. Some of […]
- Fileless And Encrypted Malware Saw Massive Growth in Q2 2021A new report analyzing malware trends in the second quarter of 2021 shows that cyber threats are becoming stealthier, […]
- Massive Phishing Attack Hits At Least 6,000 Coinbase UsersCrypto exchange Coinbase confirmed that funds were stolen from at least 6,000 accounts in a vast phishing attack this […]
- The 3 Top Ransomware Threats Might Surprise YouNo, it’s not Revil, Ragnar Locker, BlackMatter, or Conti to make it to the top three ransomware threats responsible […]