The European Union recognizes that the network’s security can be improved and wants to control it more closely.
Security research company Positive Technologies reported that pre-existing vulnerabilities open the door for attacks on smartphone users.
“The stack of technologies in 5G potentially leaves the door open to attacks on subscribers and the operator’s network. Such attacks can be performed from the international roaming network, the operator’s network, or partner networks that provide access to services,”Positive Technologies
It turns out that the HTTP/2 protocol, used for vital network communications, has flaws that allows attackers to run all sorts of cyber attacks on mobile phone users. The research company reported that denial-of-service, man-in-the-middle and network service impersonation are just a few of the attacks that are possible by exploiting these vulnerabilities.
Around the same time, ENISA – the EU cybersecurity agency – published an in-depth report about 5G’s security, detailing the most critical vulnerabilities that need to be fixed. ENISA concluded that it needs to play a more significant role in 5G’s security, stating that it’s essential that the EU participates in defining and implementing security standards across the 5G Networks.
“So the big question right now for all of the telecoms, for security teams [and] for security researchers is how it will look like and what will be the security situation with 5G after the transition [from 4G LTE networks] is over?”Positive CTO Dmitry Kurbatov
Check the source.
- Fresh COVID-19 Phish: Cybercrooks Impersonate Pfizer In Request For Quotation ScamBad guys exploiting the COVID-19 pandemic is nothing new under the sun. However, the newest highly-targeted phishing campaign impersonating […]
- Ransomware Attack Hits McMenamins; 2,700 Employee Records Potentially LeakedA recent attack targeted McMenamins, a popular family-run chain of hotels, restaurants, and breweries. The company is still experiencing […]
- The Number Of Double-Extortion Ransomware Victims Sees Massive 935% Increase In 2021A jaw-dropping three-digit spike in the number of companies hit with double-extortion ransomware attacks, most likely due to easy […]
- Cybercrooks Aiming To Take Over 1.6M WordPress Sites In Active AttackThreat actors are actively exploiting security flaws in four plugins and Epsilon themes to assign themselves administrative accounts and […]
- Cuba Ransomware Group Raked In $44M In Payouts, The FBI SaysThe Cuba ransomware gang is a wide range of tools and malware to launch and conduct attacks targeting organizations […]