The number of reported identity theft cases doubled in the last year after cybercriminals took advantage of people filling to receive government benefits.
The Federal Trade Commission reported during their “Identity Theft Awareness Week” that they received over 1.4 million reports of identity theft during 2020.
“Repeatedly, identity thieves targeted government funds earmarked to help people hard hit financially by the pandemic,”Seena Gressin, an attorney with the Division of Consumer and Business Education at the FTC.
Last year, the U.S. government expanded unemployment benefits to people who lost their jobs due to the pandemic. Cybercriminals saw this as the perfect opportunity to file unemployment claims with other people’s personal information. There were almost 400,000 government benefits fraud reports in 2020, compared to 13,000 in 2019.
On another note, cybercriminals also targeted people trying to collect funds from government-sponsored small-business loan programs. The number of reported cases grew to almost 100,000 in 2020.
Bad actors also practiced these types of attacks to target stimulus checks paid out to the taxpayers.
Check the source.
- Most Companies Aren’t Ready For The Greatest Cyber Threat Of 2021 – RansomwareOne would think that ransomware, currently the most significant cyber threat out there, keeps all organizations on edge and […]
- Patch These 5 Vulnerabilities Now To Protect Your Company From Ransomware AttacksHackers are actively exploiting years-old security vulnerabilities to launch ransomware attacks because organizations skip on patching them. Some of […]
- Fileless And Encrypted Malware Saw Massive Growth in Q2 2021A new report analyzing malware trends in the second quarter of 2021 shows that cyber threats are becoming stealthier, […]
- Massive Phishing Attack Hits At Least 6,000 Coinbase UsersCrypto exchange Coinbase confirmed that funds were stolen from at least 6,000 accounts in a vast phishing attack this […]
- The 3 Top Ransomware Threats Might Surprise YouNo, it’s not Revil, Ragnar Locker, BlackMatter, or Conti to make it to the top three ransomware threats responsible […]